Friday, September 08, 2006

Bullies and Wayne

Wayne was named Ottis Wayne Benefield, He was not a big boy but he was definietly bigger than me, After all I only weighed 122 when I graduated high school.
The Benefields were a tough bunch. Never a problem starting a fight or ending one. My uncle was Uncle Will, he was a half brother to my Dad. He had two sons, those boys being Eli David, (E.D.) and Wayne. We spent a lot of time together growing up.
We did go to a gravel pit like swim hole. There was a boy there, He was big, Really big. His name was Toby. He was always picking at the younger boys, Coy, Myself and anyone that was around. He would push us under the water and hold us down.
One day I went to Wayne, I told him what was going on, he found Toby and told him, If you ever bother the boys again, You will answer to me. Toby knew Wayne and the reputation of the Benefields. He never bothered us again.
I am not sure my Mom and Dad knew we went but I am equally sure they would not have paid any attention.
My Uncle Will got into lots of fights, He would go into the local bars and start fights. One time he came to Redding and 3 guys picked a fight with him. He was never one to let a fight pass. Uncle Will beat up the three guys and when the cops arrived, Uncle was sitting at the bar having a beer. The bartender told him if he had known he could beat those three guys he would never have called the cops. It was a self defense thing so no time was served. You have to remember Redding and Red Bluff were once rough towns, They had lots of bars and equally lots of cowboys. All three of the Benefield men were tough, Uncle Will, Uncle Turner, and Uncle Clarence.
Dont know how my dad turned out so mellow. My uncels told me my Dad was not so mellow, they said he was pretty tough when he was younger and they were running around. I can not imagine him being tough, I only knew him as pretty soft spoken and usually drinking. I did see my Dad sober up pretty fast when Leon needed him, during one of his seizures. My Dad did love his sons, and wanted to help out but he just couldnt seem to manage the alcohol.

No comments: